Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Maple Glazed Salmon



Salmon.  Sure, it's fine...who am I to judge a superfood?  I've never ordered it in a restaurant.  {I will only pay more than it costs to make something myself if I really like it.}  In fact, I’ve never even cooked it. {‘Til now.}  We eat plenty of seafood, but I tend to favor shellfish.  Scallops, shrimp, and even lobster are all regulars on my menu.  And when it comes to fish fish, swordfish and tuna are the ever-trusty standbys. 

Earlier this week, a great sale on wild caught sockeye salmon caught my eye, and immediately I recalled a maple-glazed salmon dish I saw on a menu recently.  The keyword here is maple, folks.  Right now I'm all about irresistible fall flavors, and maple is a close second to my beloved pumpkin.  So I decided to give it a try.


The marinade I threw together was simple – chances are you have all of the ingredients already.  I served it up with some roasted veggies and gingered quinoa for a quick, super-healthy weeknight dish.  Don’t forget! The heart healthiness wouldn't be complete without a glass of red wine!

Salmon, bring your friend Maple and you’ll be welcome on the menu anytime!


 

Maple Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:
1 lb Salmon
1/3 c maple syrup (I know recipes always call for “Grade B,” but I am cheap. I used store brand maple syrup -lite, no less- and it worked just fine.)
3 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
Black pepper to taste
Ground ginger to taste

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together syrup, soy sauce, garlic, pepper and ginger.  All of my measurements are approximate, and you may want to alter them to suit your tastes.  Line a baking dish with foil and coat with cooking spray.  Place the salmon, skin side down {if you buy it skin-on} in the baking dish.  Pour marinade evenly over the salmon.  If you have time, cover it and pop it in the fridge for a bit.  When it’s time to cook – heat the oven to 400.  Cook uncovered about 10-12 minutes, flipping once.  You’ll know it’s done when you can easily flake it with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment