Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Purple Paisley Dinner Party

I. Love. Birthdays. 

Truthfully, I love any holiday {they are all reasons to celebrate!} but birthdays are my favorite.  I like the idea that your birthday is yours and yours alone…It’s ALL ABOUT YOU. 

Now, some of us like being the center of attention more than others, but I don’t know anyone who doesn’t enjoy receiving a little extra love and attention on their birthday.  {I know some who claim not to love it, but deep down…they really do.} 

I always try to make birthdays an extra-special occasion for my friends and family.  I have thrown more surprise parties than I can count, planned endless nights on the town, and even made a special carb-free birthday “cake” for a friend who was going through an Atkin’s phase. {Ok, it was just sugar free jelly shots with candles…but the point is, it was all about HER.}  Of course, I’m no martyr…I throw myself fun birthday parties too!      

This year, I instituted a new tradition that will hopefully continue for years to come.  My close friends and family are invited over for a special dinner during their birthday month.  I love that I can make the people I love feel special by cooking a meal planned specifically for them, and it gives us a great excuse to spend some time together!

Last week, a close family friend was coming over for her birthday dinner.  I knew I wanted the table to have an autumn feel, but I didn’t want it to be all Thanksgiving-y.  Off I went to Michael’s, where there is always inspiration to be found.  Sure enough, a sparkly, purple paisley ribbon caught my eye and I immediately knew what my color scheme would be.  What does this birthday girl love?  Purple AND paisley. Fate in the form of ribbon! 


I thought about what I already had at home, and whether I could complete my table design without spending much more.  We have purple accents in our bedroom, so I knew I could grab a few small candle holders or vases from there.  I have 4 silky purple napkins, 2 different sets of purple placemats, and plenty of gold chargers.  All I needed to complete the centerpiece was some coordinating scrapbook paper to cover my cylinder vase/candle holder!  {One basic $3 glass cylinder gets reinvented for every centerpiece, using just double sided tape and a piece or two of scrapbook paper!}  On the way out the door I passed some purple chargers.  Despite much temptation, I have managed to get by with just round silver chargers and gold square chargers for years, justifying that at least one of them would always coordinate with any given theme.  I finally gave in when I saw these {I got 6} but my total expenses for the table were still under $20! 

To finish it off, I used a brown tablecloth I’ve had forever {stained from many a drop of Thanksgiving gravy, thankfully in easy-to-hide locations}, a gold runner I’d forgotten bout, and those trusty gold square chargers layered underneath the purple ones.  A small square vase turned upside-down served as a sturdy base for a gold platter and purple charger, creating a simple, elevated centerpiece. 

I was really happy with this table, because it captured the birthday girl’s style and I managed to use a lot of things I already had in my home to pull it together!  Try it - you will be surprised by what you can do with what you already have! 

Oh, and the menu?  Three easy harvest-inspired courses.  Just right for a Friday evening, when keeping it simple is a priority!

Happy Birthday, C!



Purple Paisley Dinner Party Menu:
~Toasted walnut, spiced pear and goat cheese salad atop mixed greens, with homemade maple cider vinaigrette
~Homemade pumpkin gnocchi in sage brown butter
~Slow-cooker "baked" apples with maple walnut ice cream


No comments:

Post a Comment