Sunday, September 18, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto

As promised, I am sharing the butternut squash risotto recipe that I made for my dinner party last weekend.   I am so glad I discovered this recipe early on in the harvest season.  I suspect I’ll be making it again…maybe even for a Thanksgiving side dish!
 

What I love about risotto is that it always feels like a special dish {perfect for entertaining} but it doesn’t carry the pressure of a difficult dish.   I used to be intimidated by risotto.  “They” say it is a challenge to get it just right, that you can’t step away for a moment, lest you ruin the dish.  True, it does require attention.  The first few times I made risotto, I remained firmly planted in front of the stove throughout the entire process.  But once you have a feel for it, it’s a breeze.  Don’t let the naysayers scare you…they just want you to think it’s difficult so you will be impressed when they make it!  {Actually, “they” might be on to something.} 

There is no shortage of butternut squash risotto recipes out there.  After pouring over dozens of nearly identical recipes, I went with this one from Epicurious.  {Their collection includes recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and I always seem to find just what I’m looking for.} 

 
Per usual,  I made some changes to the recipe to suit my tastes.  I couldn’t bring myself to add cumin to the dish, especially since I knew I had at least one guest who didn’t care for spicy foods.  Instead, I added some freshly ground ginger. {I use it every chance I get.}  The recipe also called for the addition of roughly chopped spinach or arugula just before serving.  While the greens would have added nice flavor, I just wasn’t willing to sacrifice that creaminess.  Finally, and perhaps most important…go ahead and peel all of the squash.  Trying to remove the skin after roasting is a needless hassle.  I kept some crescent shapes with skin-on, as the original recipe suggested, and the shape was long gone by the time I got the skin off, so they ended up mixed in with the rest anyway.  It’s hard to pass up New England’s farm-fresh squash for a mere $.99/lb. this time of year, but if you really want to keep it simple take my mother’s advice {that I ignored}: buy it pre-peeled and cubed. 
 

Go ahead…pour yourself a glass of wine, put on some good music, hang out in front of your stove for 45 minutes, and get your risotto on.  You won’t be sorry!



Ingredients {4-6 main courses}
3lb butternut squash
6 c nonfat chicken broth (give or take)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1½ cups Arborio rice
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbs fresh ground ginger
5 or 6 Tbs finely grated Parmigiano-reggiano
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp chopped fresh sage (plus more for garnish

Directions
Roast squash:
Preheat oven to 450°F. Halve squash lengthwise and seed, then cut into 1” cubes and season with salt.  Roast in a shallow baking pan in middle of oven until tender and golden, about 50 minutes. Tent pan with foil to keep warm after removing from oven.

Start risotto after squash has been roasting 40 minutes:
In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer, covered. Meanwhile, cook onion in butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add rice, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time {just use a ladle – close enough} , stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy-looking but still al dente {it should be the consistency of thick soup}, about 18 minutes total. {There will likely be leftover broth.} Stir in squash pieces, then stir in cheese, salt and sage and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. {If necessary, thin risotto with some leftover broth.} Serve risotto immediately, garnished with fresh sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment