Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dinner Party

There are few things I enjoy as much as throwing a dinner party.  Sure, big bashes have their time and place {I’m looking at you, holiday extravaganzas!} but when my guest numbers start to climb above 30, I find it challenging {and expensive!} to prepare the quality of food I’d like.  I have visions of a chef-quality kitchen with 6 or 8 burners, 2 ovens, and an endless island of counter space dancing in my head.  But, until that dream comes true, it’s working with what I’ve got and hoping that I can get hors d’oeuvres from the kitchen to the table before the guys at the party have plucked half of them off the tray.  {Not as easy as it sounds…trust me.}

But, dinner parties?  Whole different scenario.  My sweet spot for a dinner party is six.  The table fits six {and even then I’ve got to hope for two kind, skinny guests who won’t mind being wedged in a bit}, many recipes yield six servings {or can easily be 1-and-a-halved to get there}, and I seem to have about six each of most of my favorite little serving dishes.  But most of all, I can take my time and cook GOOD food {or at least attempt to} when I only have six of us to serve.  {If you have ever been to one of my dinner parties, you know that I mean it when I say, “take my time.”  I am working on that.}


Last weekend I hosted a dinner party honoring two dear friends.  They were married a few weeks ago and I wasn’t able to be there, so this was my little way to celebrate them with a few other friends in the same circle.  J was out of town and it was the first time I’d truly entertained without him or one of my old roomies there to take a coat or pour a glass of wine while I kept an eye on the kitchen.  But, with only five good friends to worry about, there wasn’t much to worry about at all.

One of the other reasons I love dinner parties is because I get to cook for a different audience.  J and I will eat just about anything, but we are certainly the exception to the rule.  I really enjoy taking various guests’ allergies, dislikes and dietary restrictions into account and creating a menu that will please all and maybe even get everyone {myself included} to taste something a little different.  In this case, one guest of honor was a vegetarian.  I’ve never prepared a vegetarian main course in my life.  But, immediately I knew I’d be focusing on mushrooms…until I realized the other guest of honor dislikes mushrooms and onions.  Throw in a dislike of seafood {go ahead, be horrified} and an aversion to raisins and this? Was a challenge.  I love a challenge!  


I figured a pasta dish would be the way to go to ensure that we carnivores felt like we were having something substantial.  At first I considered some variety of homemade ravioli, but I ultimately decided on butternut squash risotto.  It was fantastic, if I do say so myself. {And I do.}  The seasons are just starting to change, and it was a nice fall-inspired dish for a chilly night.  Risotto is a little tricky to keep an eye on while you try to enjoy your earlier courses with your guests, but it all works out.  {Note to self: dream kitchen will also have open layout so I can see my guests at the dining room table whilst stirring my risotto at the 6-burner stovetop.  I hate missing even a moment of good dinner conversation.}

The rest of the menu was less challenging to keep vegetarian, and I was happy to find ways to work in a shout out to the groom {a connoisseur of the chicken finger} and also work in some nuts for extra protein.  There wasn’t much of a theme, which is unusual for me, but I kind of enjoyed the summer flavors and fall flavors coming together…it felt just right for early September.


 
 
Here is the full menu.  Butternut Squash Risotto recipe to follow soon!  

~Antipasto Skewers
~Gorgonzola & Fig Crostini with Honey Drizzle
~Baked “Chicken Toes” and Artichokes with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Sauce
~Spinach, Strawberry & Avocado Salad with Walnuts, Drizzled with Meyer Lemon Oil and  Blackberry Balsamic
~Butternut Squash Risotto
~3-layer Chocolate Cake with Ganache Frosting and Raspberry Coulis



3 comments:

  1. It was seriously amazing!!!! Thanks Amy, and I am looking forward to that recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fancy! I need to figure out how to score some cooking lessons from you or, at least, an invite to one of your hosting bonanzas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That can be arranged! Maybe you & Mel can come some time!

    ReplyDelete