Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chocolate Crack


Over Labor Day weekend, I committed a series of highly uncharacteristic behaviors.  1- I decided to have an impromptu get-together with only about 24 hours notice. {The uncharacteristic word here would be: impromptu.}  2- I encouraged guests to bring dishes to share and kept the things I made to a minimum.  {Typically, I would still go ahead and make enough food to render the guests’ contributions excessive.}  3- This is the kicker.  The things I did make?  They were EASY.  Just 2 simple desserts {Chocolate Crack and Nutella Cookies} and my go-to No-Bake Nacho Dip that I’ve been making since my early 20’s {when it was often consumed by four or five of us girls after four or five cocktails.}  That’s it.  Throwing a party has never been so simple!  I actually sat on the couch, had a glass of lemonade and WAITED for guests to arrive.   

Not that I’ve been converted.  I’ve been thinking about the menu for an upcoming dinner party for weeks.  {More on that next week.} 

So, before my brief simplicity phase passes, I have to tell you about Chocolate Crack.  Yes, that's what I said. Chocolate Crack.   The friend who gave me this recipe actually called them “New Hampshire Breakway Cookies,” which is all polite and family-friendly...but really doesn't convey the urgency with which you will consume these delicious little sweet & salty treats.  Go ahead and make this recipe, and decide for yourself what to call it. 





Chocolate Crack

Ingredients:
Saltine crackers {the original ones, people – this is not the time to watch your sodium intake!}
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
12oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips {approx.}
1/4 cup chopped walnuts {approx.}

Directions:
Pre heat oven to 350.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and Pam it. In a small nonstick sauce pan, bring sugar and butter to a boil over med-high high, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and continue to boil for 3 minutes – do not stir. Immediately spread mixture evenly over crackers and bake for 5-7 minutes. {A rubber spatula works well for the spreading.}  Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips liberally. {I used the better part of the bag.} Pop it back in the over for about 30-60 seconds to soften the chips. Remove from the oven and spread the now-melting chips evenly.  Sprinkle chopped walnuts to taste and set sheet aside to cool.

Once cooled, break into pieces and enjoy. {Patience is not a virtue.  Go ahead and place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to speed up the process.}  If you manage not to eat it all in one sitting, store what’s left in an air tight container.  


4 comments:

  1. OMG, please make something with nutella!!!! Or save a piece of that crack for me.

    That came out wrong.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd seen this in time! Next time you're over? Nutella cookies for you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use the nutella cookie recipe from Our Best Bites? I got my coworker to make them for me and I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I love all things Nutella so I didn't think that was possible. Have you ever tried hazelnut gelato?? It's like frozen nutella goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the Best Bites recipe! I really liked them, but I was hoping for more Nutella-ness.

    ReplyDelete